Welcome to my website
My name is Erica Meltzer, and I'm a New York City-based tutor and test-writer, as well as the author of The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar and The Critical Reader: The Complete Guide to SAT Critical Reading.
The goal of this site is to offer free, high-quality preparation for the reading and writing portions of the SAT and ACT. Check out my SAT/ACT Study Guides as well as my Vocabulary and Grammar Exercises.
Pre-publication copies of The Critical Reader are now available to order through CreateSpace
Intended to demystify what is often considered the most challenging section of the SAT in a straightforward, logical manner, The Critical Reader includes:
- -A list of 300 top words, a roots list, and "second meanings" list, along with 75 practice sentence completions and strategies for answering them.
- -A systematic breakdown of question types as well as tools for working through each type of question.
- -An in-depth guide to understanding main point, function, tone, inference, and rhetorical strategy.
- -Strategies for reading passages, locating important information, and identifying correct and incorrect answers more quickly and confidently.
- -Extensive exercises designed to reinforce each concept presented.
The Critical Reader mentioned on CBS Moneywatch
Lynn O'Shaugnessy has cited thecriticalreader.com as one of Five Great SAT Prep Websites that Won't Break Your Budget.
Debbie Stier at Bronxville High: Ten Top SAT Tips
Now on Amazon: Buy "Eight Multiple Choice SAT Writing Tests" by itself OR with "The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar"
Study top vocabulary words, grammar, and reading, and learn test-taking strategies.
Take diagnostic exams and practice quizzes to prepare for the reading and writing sections of the SAT and ACT.